KYIV – August 6, 2026 – Russian attacks overnight killed at least six people in eastern and northern Ukraine, local authorities said, while Ukrainian forces struck oil refineries deep inside Russia.
Three people died in strikes on residential areas in the Kharkiv region and three more were killed in the Sumy region, with additional injuries reported. Russian officials claimed their air defences intercepted 605 Ukrainian drones overnight.
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Ukrainian forces hit the Bashneft-Novoil refinery in Bashkortostan and the Slavneft-Yanos refinery in the Yaroslavl region, continuing Kyiv’s campaign against Russian energy infrastructure.
The attacks follow a large-scale Russian ballistic missile and drone assault on the Kyiv region earlier this week that killed at least 17 people. Zelenskyy has again urged allies to accelerate deliveries of air-defence interceptors, noting Ukraine’s shortages of systems capable of stopping ballistic missiles.
